Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Welcome Kinzley Evelyn Gorham

The nurse called today and said my test results were not good! The Dr. wanted me to come in right away and I was very possibly going to have a baby today! I immediately told Josh and he got sick to his stomach! He was so nervous! Mom took me to the Dr. because Josh had some work he needed to do this morning. They got me right in and made me lay down for 10mins before taking my blood pressure which was 149/90 which is normally 119/90! My protein level had raised 3 points in a day! I was also dilated to a 4! Dr. said I was very critical if he waited any longer to induce my blood pressure could explode during delivery or I could even seizure... But if he did induce today the baby would go straight into NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) and be there for 10 days! I told him I trusted him to make the choice, he tried to prepare me for what it would be like to have my baby in NICU and how hard it would be to leave the hospital without my baby...
I went straight down to Labor and Delivery at 12:30! They started me on Oxytocin which starts your contractions and helps them to get strong and regular. I had not had any contractions. The contractions started and were not as bad as I had thought they would be. I waited until they were 2 mins apart to get my epidural. I was still on bed rest due to my high blood pressure and I wasn't allowed to have any visitors, I had to have the lights dimmed and I could only watch TV with low volume... boring!! but time went by faster than my Dr. thought, when I left his office he told me I probably wouldn't have her until midnight or even the next day! But my contractions reached 2 mins at around 6. The Anesthesiologist came in and started my epidural, this was the first I felt any pain, and it was the worst pain I'd ever had. Josh was in the room with me and my body started to shake, tears pored down my face, and Josh almost hit the floor... he has a weak stomach and seeing me in that amount of pain made him sick! After she was done poking at my back the pain let up. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 5! Brandon my brother-in-law snuck in and him and Josh gave me a blessing. It was beautiful and the spirit definitely filled the room.

The Dr. came in at about 6:30 and broke my water. The epidural kicked in and my lower body started to numb, then I started feeling lots of pain again. The nurse was worried and noticed the epidural had stopped releasing meds, the numbing started to wear off! I could feel the contractions and they were way worse than before! The nurse set me up in the bed to speed up dilation, no longer than 10 mins later I felt tons of umbarrable pressure. The nurse checked me and I was already dilated full plus 3! Everything seemed to be going fast! Then I started pushing... I pushed only 7 times and She was born! Everyone said it was so fast and I did very well, But it was the worst pain I've ever experienced. As soon as it was over I felt so much better!!! At the end the Dr. told me "reach down and take your baby!" It was amazing I got to reach down and pull her out! I placed her on my bare tummy and they cleaned her while I warmed her little body! She lay there about 30 mins. She would open her right eye and peak at me then close it again... It was amazing! She is so beautiful! Josh got to cut the umbilical cord! She was born at 8:12pm weighed 6 lbs. 4 oz. an was 20 1/4 inches short!We sadly waited to see them come and take her away... but her nurse said she was perfect and they didn't take her!!! Around 9:00 pm we made it up to the Maternity Ward and shortly after that our room was filled with anxious family members!!! What a Wonderful Day!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh she is so beautiful!! Congratulations we are very happy for you! Love, Mandy

Cheryl Robinson said...

Sister Gorham,
I loved your birth story, it made me cry. I love to feel the whole waiting for the baby feeling, the not knowing exactly how it will all happen, but knowing Heavenly Father wants you to have this baby. I talked to your hubby at church today and he couldn't be prouder of you and his new baby girl. I loved watching him talk about it all. Hope you are feeling better with the blood pressure and just getting over having a baby blues. Congradulations! Way to go MOM!

Brittany said...

Glad I could be ther to share this experience with you. You have great strength and a new beautiful baby girl. love you lots, Roberta, be home soon to give her lots of hugs and kisses.

Amelia Ames said...

She's beautiful! Congratulations!

Caty said...

Wow, Danielle. You are a STRONG woman! I hope I get to meet your little girl some day soon. I'm so proud of you and happy for you!